Personal Space Differences

Micaela Libby
05/31/2018
TESOL 103
Is interesting to know how each culture has their own personal space and also is not each culture, this is also like the title says, is a personal space. 

In Argentina we like to be very close to people that we like, family, friend and also we are very good to talk with people that we don't know. Also I think that everybody put their own space. 

When I went to my mission (Brazil) as a Sister a few men wanted to hug me at the moment to say "Hi", and the same happens with the Elders in Argentina, woman want to give a kiss on the cheek when what to say "Hi" too. 
Image result for personal space
I recognize that this is a culture that we have. When I went to USA for first time my husband present to  me his friends and also I kissed everyone, they open their eyes, wife and girlfriend wasn't happy with me and I didn't understood what was happening, and my husband never explained me nothing. 
 Few days after we went to visit others friends and I saw that a lady shake hands with me and I was not happy with that, I felt that she was discriminating me. The space that she use to me made me feel so sad, but after that I learned that was her space, her personal space and I needed to respect that. After few week I learned that American's have that personal space and now I respect that and also I am doing the same; shake hands, said hi  and I respect everyone space. 
Now as a future teacher I thought that would be nice that each student can talk about their personal space during the classroom because is important to know each culture and also is important to to feel that your personal space is different and that everyone need to respect that. 


Comentarios

  1. Great post, Hermana. Where did you serve mission here in Brazil? We are very close to people too. It's normal to us to hug and kiss

    ResponderEliminar

Publicar un comentario

Entradas populares de este blog

Attributional Tendencies