Cultural Differences in Concerning TIME


Micaela Libby
Tesol 103
05/22/2018
Cultural Differences in Concerning TIME
(Monochronic versus Polychronic)
Monochronic cultures like to do just one thing at a time. They value a certain orderliness and sense of there being an appropriate time and place for everything. They do not appreciate interruptions. They like to concentrate on the job at hand and take time commitments very seriously.

Polychronic cultures like to do multiple things at the same time. A manager’s office in a polychronic culture typically has an open door, a ringing phone and a meeting all going on at the same time. Though they can be easily distracted they also tend to manage interruptions well with a willingness to change plans often and easily. People are their primary concern (particularly those closely related to them or their function), and they have a tendency to build lifetime relationships.

I had to search the definition about these because to me was not very specific what Monochronic or Polychronic mean. 

Now talking about the video of Bother Ivers, I don't agree a 100% with him and what he said. Watching this video make me feel mad. I don't agree that cultures do this. I know that is a lot of searches and information that maybe can say that what he said is true but I don't feel it. I don't consider that a culture can make that and everything can be generalist. I think that social classes or people with education can define it. I lived in Argentina, I served my mission on Brazil and now I am living in USA and I saw monochronic and Polychronic cultures in everywhere. I think that each familly make that too. 

I consider my family a Monochronic. We have a lot of respect to the time of other people and also we hate lateness. My father is an account, my mom has a saloon, my brother teach volley, I am running my own business as a Daycare, and we know and we have our responsibilities. We have time for our family but when is time to work is time to work. 

I think that this is a complicate theme to talk and don't have a full information about it. But the same, I think that everyone has their own opinion about it and we need to respect it doesn't matter if we agree or not. I will like to continuing searching about it and know better. 

To me my time is important. I don't like that somebody spend my time. I am a directly person and I always will say what I think having respect with others too. But now, what do you think about it? Do you agree or nor with what I said? and why? Now, I am curious to know your opinion too. Do you consider your self monocrhonic or polychronic? 

I know that is a big possibility that I am super grown with my opinion but this is what I think about it right now and is possible that learning a little more about this theme , I can change my way of think. 

http://www.professionalglobaletiquette.com/2016/02/cultural-differences-between-monochronic-vs-polychronic/

https://video.byui.edu/media/04+Cultural+differences+in+Concerning+TIME/0_1cjop6lc


Comentarios

  1. Very good. I like your post. In Brazil, the people is more Polychromatic, but I guess that I have a little of both in me. Maybe I'm monopolychromatic. lol

    ResponderEliminar

Publicar un comentario

Entradas populares de este blog

Attributional Tendencies